Today Simeon Oyeniyi is sharing with us some important life lessons, which when given due consideration, we all stand a huge chance to live a soothing life.
Read the piece below and enjoy:
The same feeling a footballer has when he scores a goal is the feeling a writer has when he is told how his writing has positively affected the audience. That was the same feeling this columnist had when an award-winning Professor of this University told him last week that a recent article of his so must resonated with her that it was as if it was addressed to her personally.
It was against this background that these 12 tips, which were actually part of the opening address I gave at the recent Centre for Peace and Strategic Studies (CPSS) 5th Mediation, Negotiation and Arbitration Skills Capacity Building Retreat, are considered worthy of sharing. Perhaps they will connect with someone the way they connect(ed) with me when I got them some time ago.
My view, as I said on that occasion, is that if one internalises them, they would make one to be at peace with oneself and the world. The world would not change until we change the way we respond to its phenomena. Here they are:
1. Never tell your problems to all. Twenty per cent will not care and eighty per cent will be glad you have them.
2. Life is similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It is declared when you refuse to get up.
3. Always the wrong persons teach the right lessons in life. That is called life experience.
4. Everything is valuable only at two times. Before getting it and after you lose it. You don’t have to lose what you have to appreciate it. Treasure the moment; this is your moment.
5. Two places are most valuable in the world. The nicest place to be is in someone’s thoughts. The safest place to be is in someone’s prayers. Try as much as possible to be in the two places.
6. FEAR has two meanings: Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rejoice. The choice is yours. The ball is in your court.
7. EGO is the only requirement that can destroy any relationship. Be a bigger person, skip the “E” and let it “GO”.
8. As long and we don’t forgive people who have hurt us, they occupy a “RENT-FOR-FREE SPACE” in our mind. Always give and forgive.
9. I asked God: If everything is already written in destiny, then why should I pray? God smiled and said, I have also written: “Terms and Conditions apply”.
10. Trust is like a sticker. Once it is removed, it may stick again but not as strong as it holds when you first applied it.
11. Never win people with arguments. Rather defeat them with your smile because people who always wish to argue with you cannot bear your silence.
12. Memories are always special. Sometimes, we laugh by remembering the days we cried and sometimes we cry by remembering the days we laughed. That’s life…
*Written by a seasoned barrister, S.O. Oyeniyi Esq.